Myositis Support and Understanding (MSU) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which is focused on providing education, advocacy, and support to people touched by forms of Myositis. The diseases, also known as Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies or Acquired Myopathies, have varying symptoms which fall under all or some of the following categories:
- Rare diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- Neuromuscular Diseases
- Skin Diseases
- Pulmonary Diseases
- Invisible Diseases
- Chronic Diseases
- Disabling Conditions
MSU wants to bring about better understanding of all aspects related to living with Myositis to patients, caregivers, family members, friends, co-workers, and medical professionals and uses the following platforms to reach the intended audience:
- A comprehensive, easy to understand website containing relevant information, education, support, and sources (www.UnderstandingMyositis.org),
- Our programs and services such as advocacy and outreach and our Financial Assistance program.
- A public Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/understandingmyositis/),
- Multiple closed Facebook support groups aimed at specific issues of living with Myositis,
- Other support methods such as our website’s Myositis Network and online Video Chat Support
- Other social media sites: Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, Google Plus, Tumblr, Flickr, and YouTube.